Diabetes and its complications are one of the top 10 causes of death worldwide -it is incurable, but patients can also coexist peacefully with diabetes as long as they control blood sugar through exercise and healthy eating; In various sports, going for a walk is especially suitable for diabetic patients.
Advantages of going for a walk for diabetes
- Helps maintain normal body weight, which is important because overweight obesity is the main risk factor for diabetes.
- Stimulates the increase in the number of cell insulin receptors, which can help the body convert glucose into energy so that blood glucose concentration can be maintained within normal range.
- Improving the efficiency of insulin use in the body can reduce the amount of diabetes medication required by patients.
- It is easy to get started without special learning, so it is safe and easy to stick to walking. You can easily find companions with no special gear or venue, saving money.
Guide to Taking a Walk for Diabetes Patients
- Walk 5 days a week, at least 30 minutes each time. If you don’t like moving, you can start from 10 minutes a day, and then extend it for 3 to 5 more minutes each week.
- Record a few steps each time to make comparisons.
- Before you start walking, do some basic stretching for 3 to 5 minutes.
- After going for a walk, do stretching exercises for 5 to 10 minutes.
- When walking, look up and look forward, don’t look down on the ground.
- Replenish moisture at all times, as walking can also lead you to sweat.
- Wear the right shoes for maximum comfort and to protect your feet.
- After getting used to going for walks, you can walk faster and lengthen the distance.
- If you’re afraid of boredom, you can go with friends or listen to music.